Register for Taxes

Any entity operating in the state of Mississippi may be liable for taxes and should register with the Department of Revenue. If you have questions, you may call the Department of Revenue at (601) 923-7700, contact us by e-mail, or refer to information concerning the Mississippi Tax Structure.

You may register for most taxes online through TAP. Although many taxes are not yet available for online access, you may register for new tax accounts using TAP

Taxpayers applying for a sales tax permit and who operate a business without a permanent place of business within the state are required to post a Sales Tax Bond or an approved Surety Tax Cash Bond​

Employee Leasing Companies applying for a withholding account are required to submit with the application either a cash bond or an approved surety bond​.  The amount of the bond must equal twice the withholding tax expected to be paid over a three-month period (or six-months of withholding taxes.)

If you are in business as a Petroleum Products distributor, use natural gas or compressed gas in engines or compressors, or operate railroad locomotives, you should register for Petroleum Taxes. Additional information and the registration forms may be located in Petroleum Tax

If you operate trucks or buses with a gross weight exceeding 26,000 lbs., three or more axles, or a truck trailer combination with a gross weight exceeding 26,000 lbs., and Mississippi is your base state you may need an International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA)​ license and decals.

If you are a medical cannabis cultivator you should register for Medical Cannabis Excise Tax.  All registrations for medical cannabis excise tax will be made using TAP.  Additional information may be located in Cannabis.