Title Frequently Asked Questions

What is a title?

A title is a secure, negotiable document issued by the DOR that represents ownership of a motor vehicle, trailer, or a manufactured housing unit.​

Back to Top

What vehicles are required to be titled?

Since 1969 Mississippi requires all motor vehicles to be titled. Beginning in 1999 manufactured homes are required to be titled. Pre-1969 vehicles and ATV’s may be voluntarily titled.​

Back to Top

I purchased a new vehicle in another state. What do I need to title that vehicle in Mississippi?

When registering the vehicle in Mississippi, you will need to provide the title from the other state and an odometer disclosure statement. If the vehicle was not titled in the other state, you will need to provide the Manufacturer’s Statement of Origin.​

Back to Top

How do I title and register my motor vehicle when moving to Mississippi?

You should register the vehicle at your county Tax Collector’s office within 30 days of establishing residency in Mississippi. At the Tax Collector’s office you will need to complete an Application for Mississippi Title and License for each vehicle you own and pay all applicable taxes and fees. You will need the vehicle’s title and current valid registration (license plate) receipt from the state in which the vehicle was last registered.

If the title is being held by your lien holder or if the vehicle is being leased, you will need to supply documentation supporting the ownership. Appropriate ownership documentation is a registration receipt from another state or a duplicate title from another state. If all information is complete, you will be issued a license plate at that time. If there is a lien on the vehicle, DOR will hold the title application until the out-of-state title is forwarded to DOR.

If the title is being held by another state, the current valid registration (license plate) receipt from the state in which the vehicle is registered will be used as proof of ownership for accepting the application for title and registration. DOR will correspond with the lienholder and/or the other state to request that the title be surrendered to Mississippi. If the title is not surrendered, your application will not be processed and your license plate may not be renewed. The vehicle can not be legally operated without valid/current registration.

You will need to apply for a Mississippi Drivers License. Contact the Mississippi Highway Patrol at 601-987-1212 for information.

Back to Top

What does it cost to make application for a Mississippi Title?

There is a $9.00 fee for a motor vehicle title or a manufactured home title. A “Fast Track” title is available for an additional $30.00 if you need expedited processing of the title application. Designated agents may add $1.00 to the transaction as their fee for services rendered.​

Back to Top

How long does it take to get my Original Title from the state?

Titles are normally issued within 3-4 weeks after the title application is received by DOR unless further research or documentation is required. Fast Track titles are issued within 72 hours of receipt of the application by DOR.​

Back to Top

How do I apply for a Duplicate Title?

You must complete Form 78-006​ “Application for Replacement Certificate of Title” and pay a $9.00 fee. For a Fast Track title, complete Form 78-026 and pay a $39.00 fee.

If you are planning either to buy or sell a vehicle and that vehicle’s title is missing, the owner of the vehicle must apply for a duplicate title. The sale is not valid without a properly assigned title. If the title has been lost, mutilated, destroyed or otherwise ruined, the owner of the vehicle must apply for a duplicate title in order for the sale to proceed.

Back to Top

How long does it take to get a Duplicate (replacement) Title issued?

It normally takes 10-14 days from time the application is received by DOR to receive a duplicate or replacement title. Fast Track titles are issued within 72 hours of receipt of the application by DOR.​

Back to Top

If I purchase a vehicle without a title, what do I need to do to obtain a title in my name?

If you didn’t receive the title or cannot obtain a title, then you will need a title bond. Please contact the Title Bureau at 601-923-7640 for further information.​

Back to Top

How do I transfer ownership of a vehicle or trailer I have sold or given as a gift?

To transfer ownership, the title for the vehicle or trailer must be assigned to the new owner. The seller must complete all information on the assignment of title except for the buyer’s printed name and signature. If the title assignment does not have a space to record the purchase price, a bill of sale will also be required.

If the buyer and seller are related as spouse, child, parent, grandchild, or grandparent, an Affidavit of Relationship should be completed.

The previous owner must remove their license plate from the vehicle or trailer once the title is assigned and the vehicle or trailer is delivered to the new owner.​

Back to Top

What is the procedure to get a new title when an owner is deceased, or the decedent didn’t leave a will?

You should go to your local county Tax Collector’s office and complete a title application, form 78-002. You will need to have the previous (currently existing) title of the vehicle.

On the existing title, you will need the signature of the surviving spouse if the existing title is joint ownership listed as “John OR Jane Doe.” If the existing title is listed as “John AND Jane Doe,” or “John AND/OR Jane Doe,” you need a completed title application, the existing title signed by the surviving spouse, and a court endorsed copy of the decedent’s will.

If a will wasn't probated, you need to provide a letter of administration or testamentary naming the person (new owner) to receive the vehicle. If the owner of the vehicle died without a will, you will need to form 79-014, “Affidavit-Owner Dies without a Will.”

Legal heirs should take the completed form and information to their local county Tax Collector’s office. The executors or administrators of estates may apply for an original title using the same process. A title fee will apply, along with other appropriate fees or taxes.​

Back to Top

What is required for transactions involving manufactured homes?

Model year 2000 and following are required to be titled. You will need to provide the original Manufacturers Statement of Origin when completing the application for certificate of title. Pre year 2000 units are required to be titled if the home is sold through a licensed mobile home dealer.​

Back to Top

What are requirements for a motorized bicycle or scooter to be titled?

A motorized bicycle manufactured in 1980 and after must have a seventeen (17) digit VIN conforming to the National Highway and Traffic Safety Administration requirements. There must be a decal or plate attached with a statement that the motorized bicycle meets the Federal Safety Standards. If the motorized bicycle does not meet these requirements, it is considered a “toy vehicle.” A toy vehicle can not be titled or registered in Mississippi and can not be operated on public roadways within this state.​

Back to Top

Does Mississippi title boats, watercraft and boat trailers?

Please contact the Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks (phone 601-432-2065) for information on boat and watercraft registration requirements in Mississippi.

Boat trailers may be voluntarily titled if less than 5000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW.) If the trailer is over 5000 pounds GVW, then it is required to be titled.​

Back to Top

How do I have an error corrected on the Mississippi title that was issued to me?

Please take the incorrect title to your county Tax Collector’s office and apply for a corrected title. DOR will research the error. There is no fee if the error was made by the county and/or the state. However, if the title was issued according to the paperwork submitted, the applicant will be requested to submit a fee for the corrected title.​

Back to Top

How do I change a name(s) on a title already in my name?

To change a name(s) on the title, you need to take the title to your local county Tax Collector’s office and complete the necessary applications. You may only add a member of your immediate family, specifically your spouse, parent, child, grandparent or grandchild, to a title.

Adding additional names of non-immediate family members is considered a new title application and all fees and taxes, including casual sales tax, will be due. You will need to complete the information requested on the back of the existing title. Please record all the names that are to appear on the new title in the “purchaser’s name” space. If there is a lien holder for the vehicle, then the lienholder must be listed at the bottom of the title in the “reassignments” space.

If you are changing a name due to marriage or a court order, you will need to provide a copy of the marriage license or the court order.​

Back to Top

I have just purchased a new vehicle. What do I need to get the title in my name?

If the vehicle was purchased from a Mississippi dealer, the completed application for certificate of title is submitted by the dealer. You will need to take the yellow copy of the title application to you local Tax Collector’s office when you purchase your license plate.

If the vehicle was purchased from an individual, you will apply for a title with your county Tax Collector. If there is no "purchase price" space on the assignment of title, you will need to provide a bill of sale to the Tax Collector. You will be required to pay Sales Tax on the purchase of this vehicle.

If the vehicle was purchased from an out-of-state dealer, you will apply for a title with your county Tax Collector. You will need to provide a copy of your purchase or sales invoice to the Tax Collector. You will be required to pay Sales tax on the purchase of this vehicle.​

Back to Top

I sold my vehicle. How do I have my name removed from vehicle record?

You need to remove the license plate(s) from a vehicle or trailer that you have sold or disposed of when handing over the title to the new owner. You should then take the license plate to the county Tax Collector’s office. Once the tag is turned in, the record for the vehicle showing your name as owner will no longer be the current ownership record.

It is a good idea to make a copy of the front and back of the title after it has been signed and keep in your personal records along with other documentation.​

Back to Top

What do I do when buying a vehicle and the seller does not have the title?

​If you are buying the vehicle from a seller who does not have the title, the seller will need to obtain a duplicate or replacement title so that they may transfer ownership to you.

I just bought a vehicle and the seller did not give me the title and I can't find him or her; OR, the title that the seller gave me does not have a complete assignment (missing signatures, mileage, etc.) and I can't locate the seller to fix the problem. What do I do? 
In these types of situations, please contact the Title Bureau at 601-923-7200 for information.​

Back to Top

I'm selling my vehicle to a person that responded to my newspaper ad. He or she does not want me to write their name on the assignment as the new purchaser. They're telling me they will write it in later. Is this okay to do?

No. Never deliver or accept a title that is not completely and properly assigned. It is a violation of Mississippi law to fail to show complete chain of ownership of the title.​

Back to Top

Do I need to title/register an ATV? Utility Vehicle? Golf Cart? Motorized Scooters, Mini-Bikes, Dirt Bikes, Go-Karts, Motor Assisted Bicycles?

In Mississippi ATV’s are voluntarily titled but they are not issued a license plate (registered.) It is unlawful for any person to operate these vehicles on an interstate highway, federal highway or state highway, or in the corporate limits of any city unless authorized by such city. Please contact your local authorities and property owners for information about operation of these devices on private property.​

Back to Top

What do I need to do if I import a vehicle?

When you go to your county Tax Collector’s office to apply for a title and register the vehicle, you will need to take the following documentation with you: a current Registration Certificate; a notarized Bill of Sale; the foreign country's ownership documents (similar to our certificate of title); U.S. Customs Form 7501; EPA Form 3520-8; DOT Form HS-7; and, the manufacturer's statement of origin (MSO.)

(In Canada the equivalent form for a MSO is referred to as a New Vehicle Information Statement (NVIS, ) and in Europe the similar form is referred to as a European Community Certificate of Conformity.)

You must provide a certified English translation of any document printed in any language except English.​

Back to Top

What is a Fast Track Title?

A fast track title (original or replacement) is one that is issued within a 72-hour time period after DOR receives the application. There is an additional $30.00 fee for this expedited service. The fast-track program does not change any paperwork requirements. All required documents must be completed and attached. If paperwork is not correct or completed, all paperwork will be rejected.​

Back to Top

What is a “salvage” title?

A salvage title is the title issued for a vehicle after an insurance company pays a “total loss claim” on that vehicle.​

Back to Top

What is a branded title?

A title brand provides important information about the condition of a vehicle. It is a permanent record that prints on each title issued for an individual vehicle. When you are buying a vehicle, check the front of the title for any brands and ask the seller if he/she should check any of the brands on the assignment of title at the time of transfer. Examples of branded titles include salvage, rebuilt, flood-damaged, and hail-damaged.​

Back to Top

My vehicle was involved in an accident and I no longer have it. What do I do?

As the seller, you must sign over the title to your insurance company so they can apply for a salvage title. If you have sold the vehicle to a salvage yard, you must apply for the salvage title and provide it to the salvage yard.​

Back to Top

Who do I contact if I can not find the answer to my title or registration question in the FAQ?

Please contact DOR’s Title Bureau at 601-923-7200, or you may email your questions from the contact us section on our webpage.​

Back to Top