- An excise tax is imposed on cigarettes and all tobacco products other than cigarettes manufactured or imported into Mississippi.
- The excise tax rate is 3.4 cents per cigarette or sixty-eight cents per pack of 20 cigarettes
- The excise tax rate for other tobacco products is 15% of manufacturers list price
Permit Required to Sell Tobacco Products
Once you complete TAP registration, you can then make application for a Tobacco Permit.
|Tobacco returns are filed and cigarette stamp orders are made online through TAP.|
- Retail: There is no fee for a permit or license, but any entity selling tobacco at retail must have a permit.
- Wholesale: The annual fee for a wholesale permit is $100.
- Cash order, the payment is due with order
- Bonded order, payment is due 30 days from invoice date
Other Tobacco Products
- Wholesaler or Manufacturer return is due 15th of each succeeding month
- Retailer return is due within 48 hours of receipt of product
Cigarette Minimum Price
- Cigarettes are subject to minimum price law
- Unfair Cigarette Sales Law, Title 75, Chapter 23, Mississippi Code Annotated Mississippi Code at Lexis Publishing
- Minimum Cigarette Price Calculation Worksheet for:
- Notice To All Tobacco Wholesalers September/2014
- Notice To All Non-settling Manufacturers July/2014
- Notice To All Non-settling Manufacturers July/2013
- Notice To All Non-settling Manufacturers February/2010
- Cigarette Tax Increase, Retailer May/2009
- Cigarette Tax Increase, Wholesaler May/2009
Tobacco returns are filed and cigarette stamp orders are made online through TAP.
The following tax laws administered by the Mississippi Department of Revenue may be found at Mississippi Code at Lexis Publishing
- Tobacco Tax Laws, Title 27, Chapter 69, Mississippi Code Annotated (27-69-1)
- Mississippi Juvenile Tobacco Access Prevention Act, Title 97, Chapter 32, Mississippi Code Annotated
- Unfair Cigarette Sales Law, Title 75, Chapter 23, Mississippi Code Annotated