Wines and spirits sold in the state of Mississippi must be sold through the Alcohol Beverage Control Division of the Department of Revenue.
Mississippi statute grants the Department of Revenue the sole right to import and sell wines containing greater than 5% alcohol by weight and distilled spirits containing greater than 4% alcohol by weight at wholesale within the state.
Once a supplier has met registration requirements and has registered an approved representative or broker with the ABC, the supplier may offer to sell alcoholic beverage products through special orders. A supplier may submit a product to the ABC for listing on the ABC Price List after special order sales for that product have exceeded a predetermined sales quota.
Products on the ABC Price List are listed under the terms of a bailment warehouse agreement.
A bailment warehouse program is defined as meaning the Vendor will own stock in the ABC Liquor Distribution Center until it is withdrawn from bailment for shipping to the ABC permittees.
Some key points of the bailment agreement are listed below. You can download the entire bailment agreement here.
The ABC and the Vendor agree to the following:
1. The vendor agrees to place, without charge, approved items of alcoholic beverages into the ABC's distribution center at 1286 Gluckstadt Road, Madison, MS 39110. The items are to be shipped in accordance with the ABC's shipping instructions and, when shipped, are to be cosigned to the vendor, or his representative or agent, in care of the ABC's distribution center.
2. The ABC agrees to handle and store approved items furnished by the vendor for sale in Mississippi.
3. The vendor agrees that all price quotations for bailment stock will be delivered prices to the ABC's distribution center, including tax and duty on imported items.
Vendors own and control the stock that enters the ABC/LDC Warehouse.
Vendors shall comply with the inventory management guidelines as set forth by the ABC.
Vendors are required to supply ABC/LDC Warehouse personnel with a Bill of Lading or Packing List at delivery of which must include the NABCA control state code, the description and name of the product, and the quantity of the product being delivered to the ABC/LDC Warehouse. Control State Code label and SCC barcode must be affixed to cases shipped into ABC/LDC.
Vendor's agents may obtain sales and inventory reports from the National Alcoholic Beverage Control Association (NABCA) showing the activity of their products. NABCA contact: phone 703-578-4200 website http://www.nabca.org/
The forms below are provided for the purpose of registering as a supplier of alcoholic beverages to the Mississippi Alcohol Beverage Control and should be submitted to the Mississippi ABC Purchasing Department, P.O. Box 540, Madison, MS 39130-0540.
Vendor Registration Forms
- Register the person employed by the supplier who is most directly responsible for the supplier’s activities in the state of Mississippi. This person must be a full-time employee of the supplier or an officer of the supplier company.
- State law requires that an agent for the service of process with the State of Mississippi be appointed.
- Mail original, along with $10.00 fee to Office of the Mississippi Secretary of State, mail copy of registration to the Mississippi ABC - attention Purchasing Department.
- Federal Tax Identification Number is required.
- Please provide ABC with the appropriate e-mail addresses in order that we may send you purchase orders.
- A supplier must submit a bailment agreement to the ABC Purchasing Department to participate in the bailment program. An officer of the supplier must sign the agreement (page 5) and must sign appendix A to the agreement (page 7).
- The Mississippi ABC is now sending all bailment payment vouchers via email. Please provide ABC with the appropriate e-mail addresses by completing the "Bailment Payment Voucher E-Mail Authorization Form".
The supplier’s registered representative/Control State Manager may authorize persons to work for the manufacturer within this state; each of whom must be registered with the Alcoholic Beverage Control Division.
- Registration of Manufacturers Employees/Brokers Workers in State
- Vendor Representatives and Brokers currently registered in Mississippi
Representatives and Brokers must obtain a solicitor's permit from the ABC Permit Department.
ABC Permit Department contact information - Phone Number: 601-856-1330.
Mississippi requires all vendors, unless specifically exempt, to be paid via the PayMode electronic payment solution.
Vendors have sixty days from becoming a vendor of the State of Mississippi to register for PayMode. After this period has expired, the Mississippi Department of Finance and Administration will not process payments from the Mississippi Alcohol Beverage Control to the vendor.
To enroll: www.paymode.com/mississippi .
RE: ABC Email Address for Special Order Invoices from Our Liquor Vendors
The Mississippi Alcohol Beverage Control has designated an email address specifically for the receipt of special order invoices from our liquor vendors. The email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include multiple invoices in a single document when e-mailing. This email address is to be used only for the receipt of special order invoices.
DO NOT SEND BAILMENT INVOICES TO THIS EMAIL ADDRESS.
Please note that there will be no reply to any electronic communication sent to this email address. The ABC will continue to accept special order invoices by mail or by fax.
- Use Standard Quotation and Specification Form [ PDF ] [ Excel ]
- Bottle Label or image of Bottle Label must accompany Standard Quotation and Specification Form.
Submit product registraton to the Mississippi ABC Purchasing Department, P.O. Box 540, Madison, MS 39130-0540.
Product Case Labeling Requirements
- Product cases must be labeled with NABCA item code or state assigned item code.
- Learn more about NABCA control state codes at http://www.nabca.org/States/Forms.aspx.
- Cases must be labeled with a 14 digit SCC bar code or a state assigned bar code.
- Actual size of the Case Code Label is 4” x 6”.
- Case Code Labels should be on white stock paper with black lettering unless approved otherwise.
- The entire label should be securely affixed to the case so that corners don't peel under normal handling and storage.
- Cases shipped into the Mississippi Liquor Distribution Center without proper labeling will labeled by ABC personnel. Label charges are $6.00 per case.
Vendors are required to submit a Statement of Monies Paid by February 1st of each year. Send original and $5.00 fee to Office of the Mississippi Secretary of State, mail copy to the Mississippi ABC, attn: Purchasing Depart.
Samples of Alcoholic Beverages
A manufacturer's representative and his employees may furnish one sample of a new product to any permitted retailer. This sample may be given to the permittee or to a manager on behalf of the permittee. Distribution of samples may occur only at the permitted business and only after the approval of the Department. Samples may not be used for the promotion for that specific product and may not be used as a gift or an inducement to purchase other products. Each bottle of product distributed as a sample must be clearly labeled with the word "Sample". Products used for samples must be delivered to the ABC/LDC Warehouse at 1286 Gluckstadt Road, Madison, MS 39110 for distribution to the manufacturer's representative. Cases containg sample alcoholic beverages must be marked or stamped with the word "Sample" by the manufacture prior to shipment. A bill of laden must accompany each case of sample alcoholic beverages and the word "Sample" must be clearly marked on the bill of laden. Samples must be removed from the ABC/LDC Warehouse within 10 working days of receipt. Failure of the manufacturer's representative to remove samples from the ABC/LDC Warehouse upon expiration of ten (10) days will result in destruction of said products. The ABC will not be responsible for any damages occurring while said products are stored in the ABC/LDC Warehouse.