Registration is a 2-step process
Register online for new tax accounts and permits
You can register for new tax accounts for most taxes in TAP.
|Sales and Use||Withholding||Corporate, Pass Through Entity Income|
|Gaming||Beer Excise||Tobacco Excise|
|Insurance Premium||Finance Privilege||Beer and Tobacco Permits|
Depending on where your business is located, you may be liable for a special city or county tax. If so, the DOR will register your business for the special city / county tax. Additionally, based on the type of business you conduct, the DOR may register your business for the Trauma Care Fee, Prepaid Wireless 911 Fee, Motor Vehicle Rental Tax, or the Waste Tire Fee.
If you need an Alcoholic Beverage permit, more information is found here.
If you need to register for Petroleum taxes, more information is found here.
Register for online access to existing tax accounts in TAP
Online access in TAP provides you the opportunity to view your tax account information, file and pay tax returns, and renew permits at any time of the day. TAP provides online access to these tax types: Individual Income, Corporate Income and Franchise, Pass-Through-Entity, Gaming, Insurance Premium, Finance Privilege, Beer Excise, Tobacco Excise Taxes, and Beer and Tobacco permits.. Sales and Use Taxes are available October 1, 2013. (Please note annual Income Tax returns are filed through authorized software providers.)
|Master User||User Name and Passwords||Authorization Code|
|Gather this information before beginning.||Confirmation Number||Logon the first time|
|Ready to Begin||Registration Processing Time||Adding access to other tax accounts|
Any modern web browser can be used to access TAP. Disable any local settings, utilities, or browser settings that auto-fill or auto-complete fields in your browser.
Browser options include:
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or higher Download Now
- Mozilla Firefox 4.0 or higher Download Now
- Safari 5.0 or higher Download Now
- Chrome 11.0 or higher Download Now
- Opera 11.0 or higher Download Now
To view and print TAP documents, you need a PDF reader available from one of the below:
There is not normally a charge to upgrade or download these programs to your computer.
The Master-User is the person who first logs on to TAP and the one who controls the TAP account. As more taxes are added to the system, the Master-User may grant access to account information to other persons.
If you have an existing tax account with the DOR, you do not need numbers 2,3 or 8 from this list.
For your security, if you have to step away and your computer is idle several minutes, your session will "time-out." If this occurs, you lose all of your information and will need to start over.
- Identification Number
A sole proprietorship needs need either a Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
A corporation, LLC, Pass-Through-Entity, or other needs a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). On the IRS website, look for “Apply for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) Online”.
- Name, address and ID information is needed for officers & directors of a Corporation or LLC,
IF The company is not publicly traded; and, there are less than 35 owners / shareholders / partners.
- The Business ID assigned to your company by the MS Secretary of State’s Office. If you do not have a Business ID, you may find information on the Secretary of State’s website, www.sos.ms.gov. Look for “Business Services” then, “Fees and Forms”.
- The business name, location address, and mailing address.
- Contact information for the Master User including name, phone, e-mail, and fax number.
- You will be asked to choose a User ID, password, and security question. Passwords cannot be the same as your User ID. The password must be 8-15 characters long and include at least one special character (~!@#$%^&*+-). (Do not use your Social Security Number, or your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) as your password.) The security question is used to reset and change your password.
- If you already have a tax account with the DOR, you need the Letter ID from the letter that provided your new account number(s.) The Letter ID is in the upper, right-hand corner of the letter.
- If you are claiming non-profit status when registering for Corporate Income, you need to attach documentation from the IRS confirming this status. If you are unable to attach a copy, you can mail it to Registration Section, P. O. Box 1033, Jackson MS. Non-profit status is not allowed without qualifying documentation. Government agencies are not required to submit documentation supporting non-profit status.
Once you gather the above information, begin by going to the “Welcome” page and select the link that applies to you:
- If you are already registered with the Department of Revenue, but this is your first time to logon to TAP, select “Sign up for online access”. (Already registered means you have an existing tax account for one of these tax types: Corporate, Pass Through Entity, Gaming, Insurance Premium, Finance, Beer and Tobacco.)
- If you have never registered a business with the Department of Revenue, and you are opening a new business in Mississippi, select “Register Now!”
Follow the steps listed when answering the questions. To get started, just click on the step.
- Green check mark indicates the step is complete. Your information appears on the main registration page and the next step becomes available.
- Red ! means you have an error or incomplete information.
When all steps are complete, select “You have completed your online registration. Click here to submit!” This link is on the bottom of the page.
As a security measure for your account, please do not share User ID’s and passwords. If you need more than one person logging in, after completing the registration you can create additional Logons.
Passwords cannot be the same as your User ID. The password must be 8-15 characters long and include at least one number and one special character (~!@#$%^&*+-).
(Do not use your Social Security Number, or your Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) as your password.) The security question is used to reset and change your password.
You will receive a confirmation number once you complete your initial registration. This confirms that the DOR received your submission.
Your initial logon to register for TAP should only take a few minutes to process. Returns and payments process overnight. But, some account registrations require approval, as example, a Beer Permit. If applying for a permit, you will receive a confirmation number that lets you know that the DOR has received your application and it is processing.
Within a few minutes of completing your TAP registration, you will receive an e-mail including an authorization code (this is not the same as the confirmation number!) Once you receive your authorization code, return to TAP and complete registration of your various tax accounts. Once you have received the e-mail with your authorization code, you can logon to TAP.
.Once you have received the e-mail with your authorization code, you can logon. Return to TAP and enter your User-name and Password. The first time you logon you will be asked for the authorization code. After you logon the first time, you will not need the authorization code again.
Once you complete registration for your business, you can add access to other tax accounts that are available in TAP. To add access to existing tax accounts, you need the eight-digit account number provided to you in the letter from the DOR. The menu on the left of the main page provides a link to add access. After you logon, you can register your tax account(s).
- Select “Register for a New Account” if you need to register a new tax account or permit.
- Select “Add Access to Existing Accounts” to add access to tax accounts you already have.